A collection of teacher lesson plans relating to natural hazards and emergencies.
Free education programs delivered at your school
SES volunteers are running a free education program for Victorian primary schools. The interactive presentations cover the topics of floods, storms or how to prepare for emergencies. With strong AusVELS connections, the presentations are tailored to different age groups and run for approximately 30-45min.
please use this form to submit a request for us to visit your school.
Go to thepage to submit a request for SES to visit your school.
StormSafe lesson plans
The following lesson plans were developed to accompany the SES StormSafe game.
- Foundation (Prep) Lesson Plan.pdf (4.5 MB)
- Foundation (Prep) AusVELS.pdf (191.5 KB)
- Grades 1-2 Lesson Plan.pdf (4.9 MB)
- Grades 1-2 AusVELs.pdf (288 KB)
- Grades 3-4 Lesson Plan.pdf (5.3 MB)
- Grades 3-4 AusVELs.pdf (423 KB)
- Grades 5-6 Lesson Plan.pdf (4.2 MB)
- Grades 5-6 AusVELs.pdf (335 KB)
- Years 7-8 Lesson Plan.pdf (1 MB)
- Years 7-8 AusVELs.pdf (360 KB)
Dangers of floodwater lesson plans
The educational and investigative SES FloodSafe Game was developed to encourage the identification of hazardous objects which can be found in floodwater and cause harm.
The following lesson plans were produced to assist in consolidating students' learning and understanding.
- Foundation (Prep) Lesson Plan.pdf (1.8 MB)
- Foundation (Prep) AusVELS.pdf (151 KB)
- Grades 1-2 Lesson Plan.pdf (2.4 MB)
- Grades 1-2 AusVELs.pdf (156 KB)
- Grades 3-4 Lesson Plan.pdf (2.9 MB)
- Grades 3-4 AusVELs.pdf (158 KB)
- Grades 5-6 Lesson Plan.pdf (2.6 MB)
- Grades 5-6 AusVELs.pdf (206 KB)
- Years 7-8 Lesson Plan.pdf (2.8 MB)
- Years 7-8 AusVELs.pdf (213 KB)
We suggest that any observations, student work or comments recorded during this lesson be displayed in your classroom, under the heading ‘Keeping safe during floods’, for others to see and learn from.
QuakeSafe lesson plans
These lesson plans utilise computer technology to introduce the topic of earthquakes to upper primary and junior secondary students.
- Earthquake Terms.pdf (294 KB)
- Grades 5-6 Lesson Plan.pdf (3.3 MB)
- Grades 5-6 AusVELS.pdf (611 KB)
- Years 7-8 Lesson Plan.pdf (757 KB)
- Years 7-8 AusVELS.pdf (428 KB)
Li'L Larrikin Lesson Plans
The award-winning Natural Hazards Safety Program was developed by SES Agencies in partnership with the Australian Children's Television Foundation (ACTF) and was distributed to every primary school in Australia during March 2011. The 30-second videos are designed to increase children's awareness of the potential dangers inherent in floods, storms, cyclones, tsunamis and other natural hazards.
There are a total of 30 lesson plans, with three lessons covering each of the 10 Li’L Larrikin Safety Videos.
1. Playing in floodwater
2. Emergency plan
3. Emergency kit
4. Acting Early
5. Cleaning up
6. Driving in floodwater
7. Tsunami warning
8. Staying inside
9. Flash floods
10. During a storm
Each of the Li'L Larrikin teaching and learning activities is aligned with the Five E's teaching framework approach devised and used in the Primary Connections program.