If you want to volunteer but you're not aged 18, you can still join as a youth member.
- Can you to work in a team?
- Are you willing to undertake further training to enhance your skills?
- Are you between the ages of 15 and 18?
You must be aged 18 or more to undertake operational roles, however if you're aged 15-18, you can join as a junior member and still receive nationally-accredited training.
Youth members may be exposed to a number of training scenarios and receive nationally-accredited training in General Rescue, First Aid and Occupational Health and Safety. You'll also learn skills relating to flood response, storm response and community education.
General rescue training provides VICSES members with the basic skills that they require, including
- Apply safety to the rescue environment
- Identify and use fire extinguishers
- Identify and use ropes, chains and slings
- Tie knots and lashings
- Use basic communications equipment (e.g. radios)
- Apply casualty handling to the rescue environment
- Use pulley systems and winches
- Use lifting and lowering techniques
- Use lifting and stabilising equipment
- Use power and lighting equipment.
First Aid training will provide you with the knowledge and skills to manage accidents and medical emergencies involving sick and injured people, by providing initial first aid until medical help arrives.
Workplace Health and Safety
Training in Workplace Health and Safety provides individuals skills and the ability to:
- Follow workplace procedures for hazard identification and risk control
- Contribute to participative arrangements for the management of work health and safety
- Determine hazards at an incident site
- Implement hazard controls at an incident site
- Maintain personal health and safety
- Understand worker’s compensation and rehabilitation arrangements
- Contribute to maintaining safety of other work group member
Become a volunteer
To learn about our units or to register your interest in becoming a volunteer with us, find your nearest VICSES unit and submit an enquiry using our online form.