Victoria State Emergency Service (SES) has a coordination role in facilitating the development of Flood Emergency Plans at state, regional and municipal levels.
Content of Flood Emergency Plans
State Flood Emergency Plan
Refer to the State Plans page for a State Flood Emergency Plan download.
The State Flood Emergency Plan contains information on:
- Responsibilities of key agencies regarding prevention, preparedness, response and recovery
- Regional and local level flood emergency planning requirements
- Specific requirements for flood emergency activities (e.g. warning, evacuation)
- Operational structures and staff responsibilities
Regional Flood Emergency Plans
Refer to the Regional Plans page for available Regional Flood Emergency Plan downloads.
Regional Flood Emergency Plans contain information on:
- Coordination of flood responses between municipalities
- Provision and allocation of resources
- Operational structures
- Inter-agency coordination
- Control arrangements
Municipal Flood Emergency Plans
SES has developed a Municipal Flood Emergency Plan template to be piloted in at-risk Municipalities across Victoria. Download the template from the link below.
Municipal Flood Emergency Plans contain information on:
- Description of the flood threat
- Areas and populations affected by flooding
- Flood history
- Flood intelligence cards
- Flooding consequences and required actions
- Evacuation plans
- Local flood warning system arrangements
- Mapping, including hazard and/or inundation mapping
- Roles and responsibilities of agencies
- Control arrangements
- Plan activation trigger points
- Liaison and communications
Monitoring and review
It is important to recognise that circumstances change and plans should not remain static. Flood Emergency Plans should be reviewed regularly to ensure plans remain effective. They should be kept up to date and well understood particularly by flood-prone communities and emergency service agencies.
Municipal Flood Emergency Plans provide an important link to the FloodSafe program. The FloodSafe program is a key communicative tool that helps to keep the community informed about flood risks specific to their community, and advises of recommended response actions to flood emergencies.