Congratulations to the following members who were recognised for their dedication and hard work at this year’s Australia Day Honours List and local award events.
Emergency Services Medal (ESM) - Brett Taylor, Knox Unit
Brett Taylor has tirelessly supported and contributed to Victoria State Emergency Service (VICSES) and the wider community for over 30 years as a Volunteer. Brett has always placed VICSES as a high priority in his life, at times he has put not only his work but his family second to ensure his local SES Unit is ready to respond to emergencies 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
As evident with the emergency event such as the 2010 Knox Hailstorm, Brett displayed exemplified leadership, direction, emotional guidance, and support to others and assisted in operational support to the Knox Community for over a month on a permanent basis as a volunteer. Brett's dedication and commitment towards his chosen field of assisting the community shows the passion that is well respected amongst his peers and Regional Staff. Brett's continual sacrifice of personal time, over an extended period is over and above what is expected of a volunteer. Brett has been the key leader and driver in moving the Unit from a two bay garage Local Headquarters (LHQ) to a large facility with a new purpose built facility including workshop and divisional command centre, housing not only Knox Unit resources but state resources such as the Mobile Command Vehicle (MCV) and Forward Operations Vehicle (FOV). Recently Brett has also welcomed the Regional Support Unit to the Knox facility. Without Brett's persistence and dedication this would not have occurred.
Medal (OAM) of the Order of Australia in the General Division - Glyndia Gee, Kerang Unit
For service to the community of Kerang.
- Co-ordinator, Winter Wonderland Debutante Ball, since 1990.
- Volunteer Canteen Manager, Kerang Christian College, since 2013-2018 (720 hours per year for 5 years)
- Canteen Volunteer, Kerang Technical High School, since 2004.
- Volunteer Treasurer, Kerang Community Centre, from August 2018.
- Canteen Volunteer, St Joseph's Primary School in Kerang, approximately 1995-2012.
- Secretary, Kerang Karate Club, for 10 years.
- Volunteer, St Vincent de Paul Society Op Shop Kerang, current.
- Past Member, Kerang Show Society Committee.
- Life Member, Kerang Highland Dance Society.
- Registered Nurse, Barham Hospital, since 1999.
Victorian State Emergency Service
- Controller, Kerang Unit, since 2017.
- Volunteer, since 1999.
Awards and recognition includes:
- Recipient, Senior Citizen of the Year, Gunnawarra Shire Council, 2017.
- Life Member, Winter Wonderland Debutante Ball Committee.
- National Medal, for service to Victorian State Emergency Service.
- Nellie McGillray Award, for bedside manner in nursing, 1998.
Tallangatta Young Citizen of the Year Award - Anthony Willison, Tallangatta Unit
For significant contributions to the Tallangatta community.