Their remarkable efforts were acknowledged at VICSES North East Region’s annual awards ceremony. Medals were awarded for long service and included the national medal for countless hours dedicated to local communities.
“We would like to take the time to recognise and celebrate our members as they have all demonstrated why SES volunteers are so highly valued and respected in our communities,” said Acting Assistant Chief Officer, Neil Payn.
SES volunteers perform a wide range of tasks from cutting up dangerous trees felled by storms, sandbagging homes, businesses and community buildings to protect them from floods, to rescuing people who are stranded, lost or injured.
Our volunteers also take the time to talk to their local community about how to better prepare for disasters, long before they strike. Between emergencies volunteers sharpen their skills through regular, accredited training. They also work tirelessly to fundraise and support community events.
“Each award recipient has demonstrated outstanding commitment and dedicated countless hours to serving their local communities,” Neil said. “Our SES volunteers are there 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year to assist people in times of need and their commitment to providing emergency services is appreciated by all those they help.”
Our honoured members
This year North East Region staff, Beechworth, Benalla, Cobram, Chiltern, Corryong, Euroa, Kilmore, Mansfield, Murchison, Mitta Mitta, Rutherglen, Wangaratta, Wodonga, Yarrawonga and Yackandandah unit members were presented with awards.
Awards recipients included:
- Wendy Tucknott, Cobram Unit
- Luke Herezo, Cobram Unit
- Ian Partridge, Mansfield Unit
- Own Lord, Mitta Mitta Unit
- Di Farmer, Wangaratta Unit
- Dan Walton, Wangaratta Unit
- Warren Robertson, Wangaratta Unit
- Roland Vella, Mansfield Unit
- Julianne Simpson, Rutherglen Unit
- Carina Heppell, Wangaratta Unit
- Christine Mummery, Wangaratta Unit
- John Stava, Cobram Unit
- Joanne Barns, Euroa Unit
- George Mardikis, Euroa Unit
- Lincoln Wilson, Kilmore Unit
- David Wallace, Benalla Unit
- Debbie Dowell, Euroa Unit
- Margaret Foord, Murchison Unit
- Garry Dowell, Euroa Unit
- David Dowell, Euroa Unit
- Irene Cracknell, Rutherglen Unit
- Elizabeth McLaurin, Cobram Unit
- Geoffrey Webb, Mansfield Unit
- Robert Barns, Euroa Unit
- Martin Forber, North East Region Staff (awarded the 2nd Clasp National Medal), Frankston Unit and Myrtleford Unit
Neil added, “I would like to congratulate the 2017 recipients and make special mention to the families that allow these volunteers to make such a great contribution to their communities, along with all SES volunteers around the State, for their invaluable contribution to enhancing the safety of North East Victorians”.