As you may already be aware, a severe weather warning for heavy rainfall and likely flooding has been issued for Victoria from Friday through to the weekend.
We want to ensure that all Victorians are prepared and know what to do in the event that areas near them become flooded.
For those looking to obtain sandbags, these can be purchased from your local hardware store.
Sandbag collection points have now been established in various areas throughout metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria. Find your local collection point at www.ses.vic.gov.au/-/sandbag-guide?inheritRedirect=true&redirect=%2F.
Below is some important information and tips for how to prepare for a flood:
- For flood and storm emergency assistance call 132 500;
- Information about how to prepare your home and business for a flood can be found on the VICSES website www.ses.vic.gov.au/prepare/floodsafe;
- Decide what you and your family will do if flooding impacts you. Information on how to prepare is available at www.ses.vic.gov.au/get-ready;
- Monitor conditions regularly on the Vic Emergency website https://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/;
- Never drive, ride or walk through floodwater;
- During a flood, stay away from fallen trees, power lines and damaged buildings;
- During a flood, stay away from drains, culverts and waterways as water can rise and flow quickly;
- A number of local flood guides and emergency plans explaining local flood risks are available at www.ses.vic.gov.au/get-ready/your-local-flood-information.
Follow VICSES on Facebook or Twitter for more information.