A severe weather warning was issued for Saturday 29 July. Destructive winds resulted in 446 buildings damaged, and 342 trees down.
By 5pm in the afternoon, the strongest winds were recorded at Fawkner Beacon (107km/hr) and Melbourne Airport (104km/hr). Essendon, Mt William, Laverton, Moorabbin, Avalon and Mt Gellibrand also recorded extremely high winds between 93-96km/hr.
Watch the situation update video
What to do following a strong wind warning
Whenever strong wind warnings are issued it is important to:
- avoid parking your car or taking shelter under trees
- secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony
- keep clear of fallen power lines
- take care on the roads and drive to the conditions
- stay informed and updated via VicEmergency.
Thank you SES volunteers
Thank you to all units and volunteers who responded!