Volunteer Crew Member
VICSES has a number of volunteer search and rescue roles, including flood and swift water rescue, search and rescue in remote and harsh environments, and road, air, industrial or rail (RAIR) incidents.
A volunteer Crew Member responds as part of a small team of two or more people and needs to be able to apply correct procedures to ensure a safe approach in all situations. They also need to use a range of equipment and rescue techniques, and work under the direction of a Crew Leader.
The Crew Member role builds on the skills and training of the Crew Member Level 1 role, and is a pre-requisite to further skills development in these more specialist areas.
- Responding to emergency events and incidents.
- Planning before an emergency and undertaking safe work practices.
- Knowledge and application of emergency management principles and structures.
- Equipment and vehicle maintenance.
A reasonable level of fitness and stamina is required; this can include climbing ladders, working in extreme weather conditions and at heights, and handling sandbags and heavy equipment.
Unit locations with this role
All units require this role as these activities are core to what VICSES does in keeping communities safe. It is also a gateway to further specialist training
What you will love about this role
- Working in small teams to save lives and keep the community safe.
- Being one of the first on scene during a severe weather event or rescue in a difficult or complex situation.
- The challenge of search and rescue in remote and often harsh terrain.
For more information about becoming a volunteer, exploring a wide range of opportunities available to you in developing new skills, forming new friendships, accepting high levels of responsibility and enjoying the team spirit of VICSES: