What to do in a storm
There are a number of things that you can do to make sure you and your property stay safe during storms. Remember, for storm emergency assistance from the SES call 132 500. For life-threatening emergencies call triple-zero (000).
On this page:
What to do before the storm
Ensure you do the following before a severe storm arrives:
- Check that loose items such as outdoor settings, umbrellas and trampolines are safely secured.
- If it is safe to do so, check gutters, downpipes and drains are not blocked.
- Park your car undercover and away from trees.
What to do during the storm
Ensure you do the following during a severe storm:
- Stay indoors and away from windows.
- If outdoors, shelter away from drains, gutters, creeks and waterways.
- Be prepared for power outages.
- Floodwater is dangerous – never drive, walk or ride through floodwater.
- Floodwater is toxic – never play or swim in floodwater.
What to do after the storm
Ensure you do the following after a severe storm:
- Check your home and property for damage.
- Keep clear of damaged buildings, powerlines and trees.
- Be aware of road hazards such as floodwater, debris and damaged roads or bridges.
- Do not drive through affected areas unless it is necessary.