SES has developed Local Flood Guides to explain local flood risks for communities at risk. This includes advice for communities on how to prepare and respond to flood events and who to contact in the event of a flood.
SES has also developed Municipal Flood Emergency Plans to prepare, respond to and recover from flood events within Municipality. To ensure consistency a template has been developed to assist planners:
- MFEP Template.doc (3 MB)
East Gippsland is home to the Genoa, Cann, Bemm, Tambo, Nicholson, Snowy, Buchan and Mitchell Rivers and the Gippsland Lakes. Weather systems commonly referred to as East Coast Lows can produce heavy rainfall on frequent occasions which can lead to minor riverine flooding with major flood events in both the rivers and lakes occurring more rarely.
For example, during June 2007, four major east coast lows occurred in succession with each one producing heavy rainfall. The last east coast low brought up to 300mm of rainfall resulting in major riverine flooding across the Council area and the Gippsland Lakes rising 1.3m above normal levels.
A significant risk is isolation of communities, vehicles and recreational visitors through the area when rivers and creeks rise, landslips and falling vegetation make roads impassable.
Storms can also cause power and communication outages simultaneous to flooding.
Households and businesses should refer to their Local Flood Guide or East Gippsland Shire Flood Emergency Plan for more information.
Local Flood Guides
- Eagle Point Local Flood Guide.pdf (819 KB) [updated 5 Mar 2014]
- Lakes Entrance Local Flood Guide.pdf (952 KB) [updated 5 Mar 2014]
- Metung Local Flood Guide.pdf (732 KB) [updated 5 Mar 2014]
- Paynesville Local Flood Guide.pdf (739 KB) [updated 5 Mar 2014]
- Raymond Island Local Flood Guide.pdf (983 KB) [updated 5 Mar 2014]
Municipal Flood Emergency Plan
Your local SES units are:
- Mallacoota Unit: Lees Road, PO Box 493, Mallacoota Victoria 3892
- Cann River Unit: Monaro Highway, PO Box 80, Cann River Victoria 3890
- Orbost Unit: 5 Wolseley Street, Orbost Victoria 3888
- Bendoc Unit: 9 Jamieson Streets, C/O Post Office, Bendoc Victoria 3888
- Buchan Unit: Orbost Road, PO Box 53, Buchan Victoria 3885
- Swifts Creek Unit: Omeo Highway, PO Box 33, Swifts Creek Victoria 3896,
- Bruthen Unit: Main Street, PO Box 21, Bruthen Victoria 3875
- Bairnsdale Unit: Cnr Ligar and Macleod Streets, PO Box 721, Bairnsdale Victoria 3875