The Victoria State Emergency Service (VICSES) is the control agency for flooding in Victoria, which means that we are responsible for planning for floods, and for managing flood response if they do occur.
Victoria has a long history of flooding, and is home to many flood-prone communities. Floods cost Victorians more than $460 million every year, and can cause significant damage to homes, businesses and community infrastructure.
We’ve put together some important information that can help you learn more about what you can do to prepare your home for flooding. You can use the sub-navigation or click on one of the questions below to start preparing now.
- How do flood warning systems work?
- How can I prepare my home for floods?
- How can I prepare my business for floods?
- What should I do if a flood happens?
- Where can I find FloodSafe information for my local area?
- What is an emergency plan and what should it include?
- What should I put in my emergency kit?
Download the following resources, which will help you before, during and after a flood emergency:
- Emergency Toolkit.pdf (560 KB)
- FloodSafe Guide - How to Plan and Prepare for Floods.pdf (2.5 MB)
- Floods and Storms After Fires Guide.pdf (554 KB)
- Rural FloodSafe Guide.pdf (254 KB)
- Caravan Park Occupants Flood Guide.pdf (286 KB)
- Sandbag Quick Reference Guide.pdf (168 KB)
Local Flood Guides
VICSES has developed a number of flood guides (for residents and business owners) to explain local flood risks for communities at risk and advise on how to prepare for and respond to flood events.
Play the FloodSafe game
Floodwater is dangerous, play the FloodSafe game to find out why. Includes lesson plans for teachers.
FloodSafe Teacher resources
For lesson plans and activity ideas about flood, visit our Teachers section.
Residential FloodSafe - Inner Suburban Case Study
A VICSES case study about flooding in Middle Park and Elwood. It highlights the importance of flood preparedness and having a Home Emergency Plan and Kit.
Residential FloodSafe - Outer Suburban Case Study
A VICSES case study about flooding in Hampton Park. It highlights the importance of flood preparedness and having a Home Emergency Plan and Kit.
It’s not just homes that can be affected by flooding - it can also be a risk to your business. Think of how much you could lose in stock, equipment and fittings due to a flood, along with the profits you could lose for the days and weeks it might take you to clean up after the flood.
Go to our Business FloodSafe page to learn how to create a Business FloodSafe Plan using the interactive toolkit and watch our Business FloodSafe case studies.
Subscribe to our FloodSafe newsletter
Sign up to receive our FloodSafe newsletter each May, filled with news about events happening during FloodSafe Week plus ways you can prepare for and stay safe during floods.